Monday 23 November 2009

Three on the bounce - let's turn it around

Well, having had some time to reflect, and to read Rochester Valiant's match report, a bit more comment, as promised, on Saturday's 4-3 defeat at Fleet Town.

I mentioned the other week that I was disappointed that I'd been unable to attend the Corinthian Casuals home match. I mentioned was disappointed not to attend the Fleet away game. I still am.

Yes, we lost 4-3. Again, as AOB says on yourmedway, we capitulated at the worst possible moment. But AOB promised us excitement at the start of the season. I've mentioned we need to shore the defence up. Sure, we need to stop leaking goals, but if we go up with a goal difference of not very much, as long as we go up, how we achieve it doesn't matter. Yes, we'd all love to see a successful team at The Theatre of Slapstick. But the ground wouldn't be living up to its moniker if it weren't for the heart attack inducing moments that are becoming so frequent this season. I've lost count of how many games we've either won or lost or thrown away in the dying stages. It would of course be fantastic to be doing a Dartford, running away with the league with clean sheets left right and centre, but I'm not going to complain about the fun that is following the Chats this season.

To be frank, in the five seasons I've been watching us, this is still the most exciting I've seen it. We look awesome at times, and we've not even settled in yet. We were understrength on Saturday, and still scored three times. We've got too many strikers, I've said as much on the forum, but what's that to moan about. There were times over the last four years where we had no strikers - well, none who could cut the proverbial. Now we have, in my mind, the potentially best strike partnership in the league in Barnett and Cass, and now Steffan Gaisie, threatening to bring it on further. We've got Justin Ascheri, Byron Walker and Ray Powell, who I still think looks better up front than at the back.

There's been some chat on the forum about how we can improve at the back. I don't think dropping Dean Ruddy is the answer. Richie Stroud was conceded goals freely as well. And I don't think there's much difference between them - its simply the cost of playing such attack minded football. There's also talk about the apparent indiscipline - having given this some thought, is it the cost of the fire that AOB has put into the team? Can we be critical?

Tomorrow sees the visit of Ramsgate to TOSC. The Rams are good away from home, having lost just twice, scoring ten goals in their seven games. But we're good enough to beat them. Its a big game - we've got to turn it around before Met Police away on Saturday.

I have no doubt that AOB is going to turn it round. I've no doubt that this man is the man to make this club great. Come on the Chats!

I'll let you know how we get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment